Our green Athens
Athens is full of surprises! Its heart has been green since the era of Plato, who was said to own one of its most ancient olive trees.
This and many other secrets we will discover when we visit the Athens Botanical Garden. It comprises a 200 hectare natural forest right between Athens and Piraeus, right where the Persian king Xerxes was overseeing the naval battle of Salamis. ”More..”
The Department of Historic Plants of the Garden forms a section that is not found in any other Botanical Garden in the world, hosting species that refer to Ancient Greek mythology, involved in various myths and dedicated to the 12 gods. There are still species that ancient writers claimed our ancestors were using for various reasons, as well as plants that refer to both the Old and New Testaments.
In the Garden (a nominated wildlife refuge), we will have the opportunity of a guided tour by our botanist, focusing on pharmaceutical plants, on economical plants and on typically Mediterranean species.
We will experience a unique cooking class, where our chef will assist us in preparing a quick and tasty lunch, using organic vegetables and traditional Greek recipes.
For more flexibility on times/dates or for private tour, please contact us
- Transportation by luxury air-conditioned coach
- English speaking field expert botanist.
- Hands on Cooking class (English speaking cook)
- Self-cooked lunch, incl. local delicacies
- English speaking tour assistant
- Admission fee to the Botanical Garden
- General liability insurance
- All applicable taxes and VAT
- Transfer from/to your accommodation hotel to/from the meeting point.
- Beverages during lunch
- Anything not mentioned above
- A visit to the Dafni Byzantine monastery, declared as UNESCO World Heritage site (the availability of the visit depends on the visit day, as the monastery does not accept visitors every day)
Our tours are semi private, designed and operated for maximum 15 participants. Join our semi private tour by selecting number of participants and dates.
This tour is children friendly (not suitable for children up to 6 years old).
Meeting point: Syntagma Square (downtown Athens)
When: Every Tuesday & Thursday
Duration: Half day (approx. 09:00 – 14:00
Rate: To be advised for private tour