Our green Athens
Athens is full of surprises! Its heart has been green since the era of Plato, who was said to own one of its most ancient olive trees.
This and many other secrets we will discover when we visit the Athens Botanical Garden. It comprises a 200 hectare natural forest right between Athens and Piraeus, right where the Persian king Xerxes was overseeing the naval battle of Salamis. ”More..”
The Department of Historic Plants of the Garden forms a section that is not found in any other Botanical Garden in the world, hosting species that refer to Ancient Greek mythology, involved in various myths and dedicated to the 12 gods. There are still species that ancient writers claimed our ancestors were using for various reasons, as well as plants that refer to both the Old and New Testaments.
In the Garden (a nominated wildlife refuge), we will have the opportunity of a guided tour by our botanist, focusing on pharmaceutical plants, on economical plants and on typically Mediterranean species.
We will experience a unique cooking class, where our chef will assist us in preparing a quick and tasty lunch, using organic vegetables and traditional Greek recipes.
For more flexibility on times/dates or for private tour, please contact us
- Transfer from/to meeting point (BR2018 venue - Zappeion Conference Center)
- English speaking botanist
- Hands on Cooking class (English speaking cook)
- Self-cooked lunch, incl. local delicacies
- English speaking tour assistant
- Admission fee to the Botanical Garden
- General liability insurance
- All applicable taxes and VAT
- Drinks & Beverages during lunch
- Anything not mentioned above
This tour is designed and operated for a minimum of 10 participants.
This tour is children friendly.
Where: Western suburbs of Athens
When: 8th & 9th of May 2018
Duration: Half day (09:00 – 14:00)